Singapore is a small island country in South East Asia. The diverse culture is mostly made up of Chinese, Indians, Malays and Caucasians. For a student who wishes to study abroad, Singapore is a good option The infrastructure, accessibility and high standards of education are the main reasons for the flow of international students here. There is definitely a huge difference in the fee structure between Indian and Singapore colleges and education in India is good in most colleges and generally cheaper but education in Singapore has a different approach. It is less of rote learning/ memorizing and more importance is given to course work and thinking 'out of the box'. Even though fee may be high, the best part is there are scholarships, tuition grant, student loans etc which helps to ease the financial strain. There are 5 local universities and plenty of foreign universities and collaborations of Singapore universities with foreign universities.
So what the requisites for a foreign student should have/ know before he applies to universities here?
- Decide which university you would like to join. Read their brochure and see if you fit the bill.
- Apply directly to the university .Online application are also accepted.
- International students are required to apply for a Student's Pass to pursue a course of study in Singapore unless he / she is a holder of a Dependant’s Pass (DP) or an Immigration Exemption Order (IEO).
- After getting admission, you must go the Immigration and checkpoint authority (ICA) to apply for student pass.
- Make sure you have a valid visa. If you require a visa to come to Singapore, please ensure that your application for the Student Pass is submitted to the ICA at least 2 months and not more than 6 months before the commencement date of the course
- Generally, a security deposit has to be paid upon approval of the student pass application. For India, its around S$5,000 in the form of a Banker's Guarantee from any established banks in Singapore or Casher's Order.
- Scholarships are awarded by the universities themselves for meritorious students.
- Applications for admissions are available from October the preceeding year to March
- Though SAT scores are not required for international students, it is always an advantage to help gain entry easily.
- TOEFL scores are mandatory for students seeking admission in Singapore. Final interviews might be conducted before gaining admission into any of the universities.